Thursday, August 13, 2015

Project 333 and the evolving wardrobe

When I started Project 333 in March 2015, it was still very much winter. I was able to get through most of April and even some of May with the 33 items, plus a few swap ins and add ins. Then the warm weather hit.

June, July, and August have really challenged me. I've pretty much drifted completely off course from the strict Project 333 ideals. While I still have a small wardrobe and feel a lot of the benefits of the project, the purchasing part is where the wheels fell off.

I spent 2010-2013 in the Philippines, where it's generally between 80-100 degrees F everyday. The clothing look is casual, beachy, feminine, and sexy. Most of my clothing from that era was either hand made for me (and thus very hard to get rid of or put away) or very tourist-y purchases like flowing bright colored skirts, swim coverups, and the like.

My summer wardrobe was very, very skimpy and just didn't work for a new job I took in late July at a much higher salary and a title bump. I wanted to upgrade to a sleek, minimalist look with professional, high quality clothing. My steps:

I had to say goodbye (or repurpose) most of my summer clothing. Wispy, girly, playful clothing got sold, gifted, or made into loungewear/swimwear only.

I used what I learned about my style to curate a new spring/summer wardrobe. Clean lines, abstract, artsy looking clothing, black, white, aqua, hot pink, and lime/neon/citron green with accent of deep teal ONLY.

I had to accept some flops--mostly trendy one-off purchases that I bought on impulse. Still working on that!

I got into Pinterest as a way to "shop" and curate/create looks without spending too much money.

Some winter/early spring pieces made it in, but most did not. My boyfriend jeans are so much of a workhorse I'm considering buying another pair.

Now I have a very workable wardrobe for spring/summer/early fall. We'll see how it works as I transition to fall/winter. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment